Uses for Ground Turmeric:
- -Add to chicken or seafood casseroles and to water when cooking rice or vegetables like broccoli.
- -Delicious in Greek yogurt; use ? tsp. into 1 cup and use as a dip or sandwich spread.
-The basis of condiments for Asian dishes like curry.
Considered one of nature?s most powerful healers, turmeric?s active ingredient is curcumin. It has been used for over 2500 years in India, specifically in Ayurvedic medicine. It?s most important benefit is its ability as a natural anti-inflammatory. Recent research has revealed its natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer?s disease.
The following are 20 documented reasons to add turmeric into your diet or supplement routine:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric is available in powder form as a condiment or in capsule or pill form for supplementation.
NOTE: For sore muscles or inflammation, I have used a supplement for over 20 years called Inflavonoid that contains a complex of ginger and turmeric along with lemon bioflavonoids. At the first sign of symptoms, take two tablets and then one every hour until relief. For those with a sensitive stomach, eat a small snack when taking the supplement.
Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Turmeric is often used by pregnant women; however, it is important to consult with a nutritionally-aware health professional before doing so as it can be a uterine stimulant.